Sunday, November 18, 2012

Husband is only one of his titles

Adam and I have been married for almost 6 months now, and today I realized how selfish I can be about him.

Adam asked me to join him for his lunch break today since he was working on a day I had off. I gladly accepted. I drove down and walked into the managers office in the store to meet him. He looked stressed and frazzled, not overly excited to see me. He grabbed his coat, pulled off his name badge and darted for the front doors of the store with me scrambling behind to keep up.

As we approached the front door, we came across a young woman coming in to shop (who happened to be an associate who is injured from her extracurricular sport), he stopped to talk to her about her injury and ask how she was doing. He knew about her sport, what she did and said she could call him to talk about a leave so she wouldn't lose her position. I was impressed that he knew her, and made the time to talk to her, even so briefly, while heading out to lunch break.

We went off on our lunch and chit chatted about this or that. Nice quiet lunch.

When we went back to the store, I said my goodbyes outside and then went in to do a little shopping and he headed back to work. While in the store for the next 60 minutes or so, I passed him or noticed him five or six times. He was working his tail off. Now I know my husband is a hard worker. I know he gives 110% when everyone else is giving 2%. But I got to witness this. I got to see him interact with customers, associates, and co-workers. He is such a genuine human being even though sometimes his job frustrates and discourages him. An older lady asked where something was, and he stopped and helped her. A electronic cart was abandoned in the middle of an aisle, he pushed it back to the front of the store and plugged it in. He guided other associates in what else needed to be done and followed up with them. That's a lot of stuff to do all in the short hour I was in the store! I cannot imagine what all he does in a normal 13 hour shift.

So what I'm taking from my observations today, is that my husband is more than just that. He wears many hats through out his day, just like I do in my job. I often overlook that, and feel slighted when his 'husband hat' isn't always the one he has on.

I didn't think it was possible, but I love him a little bit more today than I did before.


No comments:

Post a Comment